The BUIHA Development Camp and Elite Prospects Camp
Thursday 22nd to Tuesday 27th June 2017
The annual BUIHA summer training camps are held at the Vierumaki Sports Institute of Finland, which also hosts the International Ice Hockey Federation’s International Ice Hockey Centre of Excellence, and the annual IIHF Development Camp. Vierumaki is also the preferred venue for pro teams from the best leagues in the world, to hold their pre-season training camps, e.g. NHL, KHL, CHL and SM-Liiga.
The BUIHA appreciates the fact that many players never had the opportunity to play ice hockey before attending University. Therefore, the Development Camp is tailored for players who are either new to the sport, or have less than three years playing experience. This camp is ideally suited to players that do not get chance to hone the fundamental skating, stick-handling, passing and shooting skills, which are essential for player development. In addition, the qualified and experienced coaches will work with individuals and small groups, both on and off the ice, to maximise player development, in a structured and fun environment.
Intermediate Camp / Elite Prospects Camp
This Camp is designed for players with more than three years ice hockey playing experience, up to and including Elite Prospects. The coaches will work with all players individually and in small groups – focusing on fundamental and positional skills; in addition to team-based drills – working on strategy, transitions and understanding the roles of others, etc.
The experienced coaches will work with all players on and off the ice, in a challenging and competitive environment. They are always looking for players who show the attributes and potential to progress via the BUIHA Performance Pathway, from Club level to National Team level, specifically the Great Britain Universities Ice Hockey Teams (Men’s and Women’s), for possible participation in the biennial FISU World University (Winter) Games, in conjunction with BUCS.
Proven Performance Pathway…
Many players that have represented their academic institutions in BUIHA Clubs, have gone on to represent Team GBR Universities at the FISU Winter Universiade, in addition to GBR U18s, U20s and Seniors, at the IIHF World Championships. A significant number of alumni now play semi-pro or pro in the UK (EPIHL, EIHL), with some international students returning home to play in their respective national leagues, and even their respective National Teams.
The camps will be run by a team of qualified, experienced, knowledgeable and enthusiastic coaches, with a variety of skills, with a professional approach. The main coaching staff consists of:
- Head Coach - Mike Urquhart (Canadian Lvl 3 Coach, Former GBR Coach (various levels), Former professional ice hockey player, Former Director of Ice Hokcey (NIC), Inducted into UK Hockey Hall of Fame)
- Asst Coach - Andrew Miller (BUIHA Chairman, IIHF Level 2 Coach, Level 3 On-Ice Official)
- Asst Coach/Safegarding Officer - Ryan Rathbone (IIHF Level 2, GBR Universities (Women) Asst Coach, Nottingham Vipers (Women) Head Coach, Nottingham Universities Mavericks Head Coach)
- Strength & Conditioning Coach Ali Emery (Current Great Britain Senior Player (Women), Former GBU(W) Player, Professional Exercise Rehabilitation Instructor)
Guest coaches from around Finland, may also assist in leading some sessions.
The Package... open to ALL BUIHA players & selected guests
The BUIHA Summer Camps are subsidised by the BUIHA Development Fund.
By popular demand, the Summer Camps will run for an extra night this year, thus allowing participants to spend more time in Finland, engage in additional ice hockey coaching and generally spend more time with friends, at the world-renowned Vieruamaki sports venue.
- Return Flights - Norwegian Airlines (from London Gatwick)
- 2 x 20kg bags per person (+ hand luggage)
- 5 nights full board (i.e. twin rooms and meals included) accommodation
- 9 x on-ice sessions at the IIHF International Ice Hockey Centre of Excellence
- Professional coaching by experienced Team GBR staff
- Guest coaches (including goalie coach) from around Finland
- Sport-specific off-ice sessions
- Airport transfers (Finland)
- Ice Hockey / Travel Insurance included for all BUIHA / EIHA / SIHA registered players
- All levels of player ability catered for (dedicated beginners group)
- Discount ice hockey kit from HockeyUnlimited.fi
- Group social - Scandic Hotel Vierumaki Night Club
£599.00 (NMs £569.00)
- 2017 BUIHA Summer Camps ice hockey shirt (Jersey53)
For additional information, or to secure your place, please contact Simon Hopkins via email.
- For those travelling with the group from the UK via Norwegian Airlines, there is a £200 non-refundable deposit required to secure your place on the camp.
- The cost for players opting to meet the group at Helsinki Vantaa Airport (i.e. excluding flights), is £410.00 (£100 non-refundable deposit).
- The deadline for balance payments is 1st June 2017.
- Maximum 6 goalies.
- Players may be re-allocated between groups upon arrival, based on ability.
- Places are not confirmed until deposit payment is received – first come, first served basis.
- The Development, and Intermediate / Elite Prospects Camps, do not share the same ice-time and off-ice facilities.
Testimonials from previous BUIHA Summer Camps…
Cosmin Davidescu - Cambridge, PhD in Pure Mathematics, 3rd Year (1 Year hockey experience)
“Great, would strongly recommend it to anyone”.
Katy Jones - University of Nottingham, Medicine BMBS, 4th Year (2 Years hockey experience)
“…really enjoyed the camp, thought the coaching was brilliant, and what was covered was at a good pace, well explained and a good variety of topics”.
Essi Aittasalo - Edinburgh Napier University, BA English & Film, 2nd Year (3 Years hockey experience)
“I was happy with everything in the camp and I thought all the coaches and other players made the camp an amazing experience”.
“Having more ice time in less than a week than we would have in months back home is absolutely beyond anything I could dream for training”.
“Vierumäki is definitely the best place to hold a camp in all ways possible”.